Friday, January 20, 2012

Skinny Bashing.

This morning, a few of my friends posted a link on Facebook to the article "The Problem With Skinny Bashing" from GirlieGirl Army. Intrigued, I read the article, and I fully agree with its message.

I think that it's become a huge problem that while much of society champions the cause of the plus-size/curvy woman and their beauty, many people are now turning to make mean remarks about girls who are slim. Personally, I have been in many situations when people start talking to me, and begin to "skinny-bash," and seem to think it is a positive and humorous thing. I find it especially disappointing when it comes from members of the plus-size community, who have likely endured similarly hurtful comments about their own weight.

What do you think? Do you think that this is becoming an issue? Do you think that healthy, slim girls are being unfairly targeted because they happen to have the body society has deemed "ideal"? What do you think about comments about diet and eating disorders, do you think that accusing slim girls of having eating disorders takes away some of the gravity of real eating disorders? How do you think skinny bashing reflects on society's growing acceptance of the plus-size/curvy body, is it hypocritical?

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this! Personally I think that it's important to be accepting of women (and men!) of all shapes and sizes.

1 Comments:

At January 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM , Anonymous Ifsogirl said...

I had that link posted as well and I can't get to it. I understand the problem with skinny bashing, I WAS a 5' 8" 12 yr old who maybe weighed 100lbs. I was critisized for being too thin. As I aged i put on a bit of weight and by 15 ended up 150lb where I was then told by almost eveyone in my life I was too fat. I then battled with eating disorders trying to maintain a thin appearance. I got back to 110lbs and was happy for a while, but my body could not sustain that and I "ballooned" up to 130lbs. Even at that weight which while i was younger was not hard to maintain lot's of people would whine about how thin I was and make fun of me for my non-existant chest. Other's would make mention of how big I was and that I could stand to loose some. It's a no win situation.

I am now 35 and back up to the 150 to 160 range. I fight my old urges to restrict food and excercise obsessively. I have seen a lot of the "this is prettier than this" pics and I see these unnaturally thin women, the way I looked in my younger years. Hearing people defend those women scares me. The fact that anorexic has become the norm and it's not until someone has reached emaciated that we start to think oh that's just too far. I have been on both ends of the spectrum of weight bashing. Kind of sad as I've never really been a "big girl".

I think that people are fighting back now. It has been so long that super skinny has been the fashion ideal. Ribs and hipbones are visible in models with D cup or larger breasts, thighs the size of my upper arms, pale faced women who most likely practice some sort of eating disorder are what is beautiful. People are scared for their daughters, and even sons these days. We've been so long in this trend and people are scared. No it's not right to pick on naturally thin women, I think a lot of people are oversensitive, seeing problems where none exist, but I think some are angry as well. Spending how much time trying to attain this ideal body, finding it impossible, feeling like a failure. I've been there many times over, even when I was almost down to 100lbs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Curvaceous Chic: Skinny Bashing.

This page has moved to a new address.

Skinny Bashing.